Re: guitar setups OT

  The split pickup on a precision bass is wired for hum canceling, the two pickups on a Jazz Bass when used individually are single coil and are noisier by nature, though plenty of companies like Fender ,Seymour Duncan, and dimarzio make stacked Jazz bass pickups that are hum canceling, and sound really good to my ears. Fender has been making a P/J style bass for a few years because people have been putting Jazz bass pickups on P basses since Jaco arrived on the scene in the 70's, so you could have the best of both worlds. Then there is Musicman, the Stingray is a very good active bass that is great for a wide range of styles with lots of eq options. Fender's modern design basses can also be gotten with active electronics and more sophisticated eq.  http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0135760359 I like em all, any  would be a great choice. i think the P bass might be more traveled in the recordings of the genres you mentioned, historically speaking, but people are playing all kinds of basses these days.
Bill