Re: OT: Recommendations for Microphone and Archtop or Acoustic Guitar

Kris Hartung wrote:

>  So I really need a mic that can pick up
> the subltles of the guitar, but probably has a good proximity effect
> when it move the mic closer to the guitar.

yep, Bill's right that a large capsule has a stronger proximity effect.

...but as you get closer to the guitar more of it's sound producing
surface will go off axis...which means a large diaphragm will
lose some of your hi freq details.

> Of course, I'll be blending
> the tone with the mag pickup through an amp.

In that case, I'd be getting the low frequencies from the mag p/u,
and using a small diaphragm condenser to capture some of those fine
acoustic details in the
high range.
OR...I'd use one of the thrift shop mics from my collection of strange
old dynamics.
OR...I'd use a pristine stereo pair at about 18inches in front of
the guitar.
OR...  well, I think you got the picture.

andy