OT: Free Jazz/Avant-Garde Guitar/Bass/Drum Trios

Krispen,

you said: "There must be more than this."

No, there needn't be more ;). At least in the free jazz domain, the
g/b/dr trio format is nothing that worked well with the historic and
musical roots of that domain. With the exception of some very
"special" projects, a) guitar didn't play that much of a role in jazz
as a harmony/rhythm section instrument (as opposed to piano) - Miles
Davis' post-Bitches-Brew 70ies albums being the important exception,
or as a lead/solo instrument outside of rock jazz circles.

The guitar started to gain some importance in more experimental jazz
circles in (I think) the early nineties, but usually in a
horn/guitar/drums format.

Still, I have some suggestions to add - but both of them being
one-time-only projects:
Marc Ducret - L'Ombra di Verdi (and while you're at it, check out the
work of Big Satan for some nice as/g/dr stuff!)
Derek Bailey/Ruins - Tohjinbo, Saisoro

(all of this recommended, btw, especially the Ducret album).

           Rainer