From: Kris Hartung <khartung@q.com>
Subject: Re: OT: Free Jazz/Avant-Garde Guitar/Bass/Drum Trios
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com

Interesting.  The whole debate over what gear to use for jazz boxes is hilarious.  I can't believe some of the arguments I see, when everything basically comes down to personal taste. And then you see what Mary is using and it defies a lot of other recommendations, which is great.  What is the cleanest or best amp? What is the cleanest most flat frequency response speaker? What archtop projects the most or has the fattest acoustic sound? What is the best jazz guitar?  And so on ad infinitum. Everyone has the best answer.  In the end, there is no jazz guitar or jazz amp per se, especially when you have guys like Joe Pass using Telecasters.

With my new Mirabela 17 inch archtop, I went with the following:

I run into my Boss VF1 for reverb and a tiny bit of delay (and chorus, if I want a Mike Stern/Abrocrombie sound), then.....and then....because I can't make up my mind on whether I like an ultra clean SS state tone or a warm and spongy tube tone, I decided to have it both ways. Out of one channel of the Boss VF1 I run into an Acoustic Image Claris 1 head and a JBL 1X12 sealed and ported cabinet, in which I installed an Emincence Delta Pro 12A 400 Watt speaker. It is a very obedient speaker, like the rock of gibalter :)  Out of the other channel, I am running into a Peavey Delta Blue 1X15 tube combo amp, which I bought new last month but now selling and replacing with a Fender Hot Rod Series Blues Junior NOS 15W 1x12 (Jensen speaker) Tube Guitar Combo Amp....because the Delta Blue is just too god damned loud....crimey. Excellent tone, but is really for a bigger club with no PA.

So I will have an interesting blended set of tones.

Kris