the amazing expanded sonic universe of piezo's

Hey guys,
Inspired by Bill's & Kris' jazz guitar discussion I thought I'd share my experience of using piezo's with you.
I fitted a set of graphtech piezo saddles to my beloved, (and hacked to pieces), Chandler 6 string electric this week and I'm very pleasantly surprised at the expanded frequency range both upwards and downwards. The tone is natural and gorgeous!
It's what I've been looking for for a loooong time. Still having to use my mag pickups for ebow and sustainiac noises but standard playing is wonderful. I've always had a problem with the notion of looping the narrow band of magnetic pickup frequencies, feeling that my loops can end up with no real highs or lows, (especially highs). I'm looking forward to exploring new areas of tone with this setup.
Anyone else using piezo's

Peace

> From: billwalker@baymoon.com
> To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
> Subject: OT: Re: jazz on tele's etc.
> Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 20:03:20 -0700
>
> Flat wounds, Boy thats where you lose me. Every set of flatwounds save
> one, I've every put on has been taken off really quickly. Flat wounds
> where designed primarily for feel and to lessen finger noise.. Tone ?
> What tone? I know they have become a tradition in the Jazz guitar
> world, but i don't for the life of me understand why. Plenty of
> amazing jazz guitar records were recorded on round wound strings long
> before flat wounds came on the scene. It seems that one can achieve a
> darker tone with a tone control,have a broader spectrum acoustic tone
> ( particularly on a fine hand made solid wood archtop ) and still have
> the option for a brighter electric tone as well. The one set of
> flatwounds I did like were Pyramid strings like the Beatles used,
> talk about scarce and expensive, yikes! They felt really comfortable
> but still had a some treble zing. I like pure nickel wrapped strings
> as the nickel feels softer than nickel plated steel and is less
> shrill when you first put them on and warmer overall. I use GHS
> Santana strings (formally called Big Core), either 11 1/2 or 12
> through 56 on my tele, and a 10 1/2 through 48 on my strat. Speaking
> of strings I've been very impressed with two other signature sets from
> GHS, The Muriel Anderson Classics which were a great surprise, and the
> Laurence Juber signature acoustics which are slightly brighter than
> standard phosphor bronze, and longer lasting than any strings I've
> tried that aren't coated. Coating ugh, not a fan of coated strings.
> Bill

Got a cool Hotmail story? Tell us now