Re: OT: Re: jazz on tele's etc. Tone control - pick your pick carefully

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 6:33 PM, david kirkdorffer <unstrungone@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> A very important part of the "tone" conversation that is often
>overlooked is
> to consider the kind of plectrum you are using.

Herueka! Since my studio guitarist days I have kept the habit of
carrying many picks for different kinds of sound. But as Kris says,
playing with fingers gives you a better rhythmic control (although it
sound like... playing with fingers). For my own taste I mostly use one
of those fat and hard Dunlop plastics. I've also owned a bone pick for
about two decades that sounds good if playing a guitar with more jazzy
natural tone. Using the bone pick on a Fender would produce a way to
bright attack. For thick flat wound strings, like I use on fretless
these days, I sometimes play with a flint stone pick. The stone gives
a wonderfully distinct mid frequency attack, not too far from low
piano keys. "On demand" (when hired for someone else's studio session)
I have also used these saw tooth edged picks to produce a gritty,
gnarly note attack typically heard on old Jim Page and Leslie west
tracks. So there's a wide palette of sounds just in the choice of
pick.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se