recording woes

so last nite, inspired by  david k's new release he was kind enough to send me, i thought, well let's sit down & try to record some stuff....
so i did, 2 little pieces....so i'm listening back on my headphones on the old Fostex MR8, and i'm hearing this high pitched digital noise thing in one headphone.
i change headphones, still there.....long story short: UGGGGGGHHHHH!.
so i'll check all my connections tonight/this weekend.
test each thing to see if i can isolate the trouble....
i may just end up recording some stuff live w/ mics, to see if that solves it-that way the recording signal chain will be simple (hopefully). it was very frustrating.....
funny thing i was thinking-i don't have any grand music plans or ideas and that sort of presented itself as a stumbling block...so i decided to maybe just take it as chance
to test out/demo some of my different gear to post to my myspace site....so that's my plan, if i can figure out my recording woes.
oh well....
s---
www.myspace.com/scotthansen