OT: Recording Drums - gear selection: status report

Hi everyone,

first of all, thanks to all of you (remember Andy Butler [AB], Andy G
[AG], George Ludwig [GL], Per Boysen [PB] and of course Rick Walker
[RW]). I'll try to summarize some at this point - additional comments
from my are marked [RS].

1. General Concepts:
There seems to be a common understanding that the most important thing
is the overheads, as they form the "basic sound"; everything else is
just addon [AB] - but the bass drum seems to get almost as much
attention, even with the suggestion to use two dedicated mikes for it.
In addition to the basic "which mikes on what" question, great
importance is found in the actual mic placement, both to where and how
they sit in relation to the drum [various], as well as how they are
placed relatively to each other to minimize phase cancellation [RW].
[RS] Here's a piece of wisdom from me: using mic placement to minimize
phase cancellation will only work for a specific frequency series, and
always give you a comb filtering effect. If we stick with Rick's example
of toms, and let's say one tom has a fundamental resonance at 300 Hz and
you proceed like Rick suggests by moving the microphone so it sounds the
fullest in the mix, you wll have constructive superposition for 300 Hz
(and 600 Hz and so on), but desctructive one for the frequencies in
between (i.e. 450, 225 etc.) - which may or may not be what you want.
If you don't want that, here's one trick: This assumes to work in all
circumstances that you only have one stereo pair (e.g. overheads) and
all the close-microphones have minimum crosstalk and/or use gates (if
you use two microphones for the BD, e.g. as [GL] suggests, you might
want to trigger the gate of the "far away" mic with the signal of the
closeup mic):
Measure the distance of each microphone to each one of your overheads
and document it. From that, you can calculate the time it takes the
sound e.g. from the SD to travel from the SD mike to the left and right
OH mikes respectively. Now during mixdown, put a stereo delay in the SD
channel. Set the individual R/L delay so it is equivalent to
distance/speed of sound (roughly 343m/s at room temperature). Voila, no
more phase cancellation, and as a side effect, you got an entirely
fitting A/B stereophony!

Apart from the BD mics, everything else (including SD - [RW]) is
considerably less important - in order of decreasing importance
(summarizing what everyone said): SD, Toms ([RW] explains a lot about
miking them), cymbals in general (about everyone - did anybody recommend
close-miking cymbals? don't think so).

[GL] also as the only source mentions the use of room mics; in his
setup, the room is done with a stereo pair, while overhead is one single
microphone.

2. Overheads:
C1000s are not recommended for their general sound ([GL], [RW]), but can
serve for SD (see 4 below).
With the exception of [GL], the consensus is on a stereo pair as the
main mics (see also 1).
There's not much suggestions on the actual placement and mic choice,
with the exception of [AB]: cardioids in a coincidental or gapped
alignment with >90° angle (e.g. ORTF). The source also suggests the Rode
NT-1A as an alternative to the (most fitting available small diaphgram
condenser) C4.
[RS]: I had a pleasant experience with the Rode for recording the room
at a live concert (mono recording I did for another group): recorded the
room with the NT-1A and a C414, used the signal from the NT-1A...
Another idea was to use the M260s for overheads due to their ribbon
character [GL] - but making sure to avoid problems with the figure-8, to
wich [RS] comments:
The M260 are not figure-8, they're hypercardioid - but that's even more
of a problem.

3. Bass Drum:
The biggest amount had been written about bass drum here...and nobody
seems to know my EV Neodyn or Sennheiser PZM mikes...
[RS]: The E/V is similar to the D112, only it has a) higher SPL
resistance (even more?), b) HF peaks at 1.5 and 5 kHz, c) LF peak at 55
(instead of 100) Hz.
For the D112, the opinions differ, from "avoid unless you want that 80s
click" [AB] to "just EQ the click out but use anyway" [RW].
There has been a lot of discussion for placement. [AG] suggests to point
the "inside" mic off-axis, pointed at the beater (seconded by [RW]), and
perhaps an additional mike just outside the hole.
[AB] suggests an additional BD mic for the beater side (tried that
himself with a Sennheiser 421), to which [AG] objects due to noisebleed
for that mic placement.
The most creative version is by [GL] with an additional BD mike ca. 3m
away down a "cushion tunnel".

4. Snare Drum:
If we need it at all (which [RW] doubts that in the jazz context): SM57
as usual (e.g. [PB], [RW]) or C1000S ([GL]).
Own experience: with Eclectic Blah, we would sometimes use two snare
drums in the trapset and mic one with a SM57, the other one with a
C1000S. The contrast was very striking!
Question from me: what about a large-diaphragm condenser?

5. Toms:
Only one suggestion by [RW]: SM57, other's tell not to bother

6. Cymbals:
No need to.

7. The other Concept [GL]:
There is only one suggestion which differs from the standard "BD
(perhaps 2x), SD (or leave it) and stereo OH", and that's by [GL]:
Stereo room mics (what kind of? Can I use my beloved extremely wide A/B
omnis here?), mono OH, SD, BD (perhaps 2x), mic over drummer's shoulder
and additional mono room mic chest high and 3m in front of kit.

SUMMARY:
All of those suggestions use a maximum of seven channels, so I'm happy
even with the small setup with 9 available mic channels. With the
exception of (7), all agree on the basic setup of stereo OH, BD and
perhaps SD, so that allows me additional room to do the optional
wildcards on the 5 remaining channels (e.g. second BD, perhaps a small
diaphragm condenser on the SD?, stereo room mics? additional
coincidental OH pair with the Rodes?). We'll see...

Thanks again for all those suggestions - stay tuned for the results (to
be available early in May).

             Rainer

--
http://moinlabs.de