Re: laptop looping

>> The good point in running Windows on an Apple pc is that you get the
>> more sturdy Firewire jack/cable. I don't want to recommend powering up
>> gear through the Firewire cable though (as we sometimes see posts on
>> this list where people seem to think that's a "good thing").

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 10:17 PM, Louie Angulo
<louie.angulo@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Per can u develop more on this? you mean that the RME 400 is not as good
>as
> the USB because it gets powered from the fw cable?

No, that's not what I mean. The reason I always recommend people to
use the extra power supply adapter for an Firewire interface, rather
than powering it up through the Firewire cable, is that if you do not
use an extra power supply a casual wobble of the Firewire cable will
cause OS X to switch over the the Mac's built-in audio card when it
loses connection with the Firewire device. But if the Firewire device
has its own power supply it won't go down and OS X can still see it
through a short power supply drop-out. I've heard about electronics
getting damaged too when device empowering Firewire cables fall out
during a session. I personally prefer a more stable rig than not
having to carry another small power adaptor ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com