Re: Mixing up hardware and software guitar tools

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 6:25 PM, David Coffin <dpcoffin@earthlink.net>
wrote:
> Greetings, back from the cold a bit after a long absence and have no
>doubt
> missed a lot. I've sold off most of my hardware and am now exploring
>Guitar
> Rig (pretty cool how close I can come to the hardware glory days with
>that
> alone, I must say), but have the inevitable hankering after some hardware
> toys (Timebender!). So, any of you clever folk have some
>best-of-both-worlds
> tricks for using hard and soft FX and gear together?

The Timebender has tap tempo. That should work fine to sync it with
whatever software are running on the lappy (since you are playing in
time in the first place). Run the Timebender's outputs the same route
as you run your laptop stereo output - be it a mixer, a PA stagebox or
whatever (since there is no digital output from the TB).

I guess you want to feed the TB with the GR signal? Set up your sound
card/interface for an extra analog output clone - or two for stereo -
and cable to the TB input.

If you want to feed the TB with a signal from somewhere inside GR's
effect chain, then I'm not sure if there is such an option. But you
can look for it! With Mainstage (Logic) we have a plug-in called
"external" or something similar that opens an extra audio interface
output path from the position in the software effect chain it is
inserted. The TC Electronic FireworX also has that "virtual insert"
option (although with way too much latency to be usable) and it would
not surprise me if you may find such a function in GR too (AT3 does
not have it).

Cool that you got GR! It has a good modular concept for routing its
built-in effects. Much better than Amplitube 3 that I use (I go with
the AT3 because it tics with my tastes in sound, and I wish it had the
modularity of GR's effect rack concept).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com