Re: tragic news

At times like this, the first emotion I feel is anger. I'm not sure
why, but I do. My first impulse when reading about personal tragedies
like this is to curse the cosmos, shout how life isn't fair, and how
life is ultimately pointless and meaningless--something that perhaps
should not have been.

But after reading so many of today's posts, nothing could be further
than the truth. Life is most assuredly not pointless, and Kim's life
was anything but wasted, even if (as someone else said), it ended far,
far too soon.

Look at how many people here have expressed how deeply Kim touched and
changed their lives for the better. It's astonishing, really. I never
knew him--not directly. But his work and his personal convictions
radiated out all across the world, both in person and virtually
through the internet. How many people can say that? It's one thing to
be *on* the internet; we all are. It's another thing to affect lives
around the world because of it.

I'm still angry. I'm angry that another person, whom I also do not
know, Violet, is grieving terribly. I know the pain of that kind of
loss and devastation. I know that feeling of hopelessness. I would not
wish it on anyone. I know how long it takes to get through it. Many of
you surely do.

Words fail, Violet. I'm so, so sorry. Many, many people are obviously
grieving with you, and you have the support of some remarkable, kind,
compassionate people. Lean on them. It's all any of us can do at times
like this.

Jeff