RE: Walker brothers Elegies

Problem is that I was using looping and an ebow before I'd ever heard of fripp. I remember listening to "no Pussyfooting" and being astonished by how similar to my music it was. Frankly I was pretty gutted. You have to be true to your inner muse though so I won't change for the sake of it. I'm digging my shoeless heels in..

> Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 10:31:03 -0700
> Subject: Re: Walker brothers Elegies
> From: mattdavignon@gmail.com
> To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
>
> Ha! I thought I was the only one who felt that way about ebows.
>
> Not that easy things are necessarily bad, but when looping on an ebow,
> it's hard to not sound like a certain very famous guitarist. For me as
> an audience member, I feel like I'm missing out on the chance to hear
> of the performer as an individual, rather than the performer as an
> admirer of Robert Fripp.
>
> --
> Matt Davignon
> mattdavignon@gmail.com
> www.ribosomemusic.com
> Rigs! www.youtube.com/user/ribosomematt
>
> William Walker <billwalker@baymoon.com> was all:
> > Thanks Gareth,
> >  you joke about ebow's brought to mind something about Kim that some but not
> > all  list dwellers might know about. I remember having a conversation with
> > him about 6 years ago at one of Rick's Y2K events. We were talking and he
> > said how much he hated Ebows. He felt they were the ambient musicians crutch
> > and had been used to death, were a cheap method to create drones and
> > sustain, and enough with this shoe gazer stuff anyway. At first i was a bit
> > taken aback because frankly, I was one of those guys he was talking about
> > :-) But then I realized , hey he's right!!!  So at that event, knowing he
> > was in the audience I dedicated a piece to him, I think I called it the Kim
> > Flint tribute Ebow Solo or something, and then I'd drone for about 5 seconds
> > and then stopped and thank the audience. But actually I took his critique to
> > heart and I rarely ever use my E-bow anymore.  I still dig it, but i've
> > found other ways to create drones that don't require it.
> >  Thanks Kim for the influence
> > Bill

Get a new e-mail account with Hotmail - Free. Sign-up now.