Re: Kims taste (was: Walker brothers Elegies)

On 25 Jun 2010, at 13:03, William Walker wrote:

> Thanks Gareth,
> you joke about ebow's brought to mind something about Kim that some but
>not all  list dwellers might know about. I remember having a conversation
>with him about 6 years ago at one of Rick's Y2K events. We were talking
>and he said how much he hated Ebows. He felt they were the ambient
>musicians crutch and had been used to death, were a cheap method to
>create drones and sustain, and enough with this shoe gazer stuff anyway.
>At first i was a bit taken aback because frankly, I was one of those guys
>he was talking about :-) But then I realized , hey he's right!!!  So at
>that event, knowing he was in the audience I dedicated a piece to him, I
>think I called it the Kim Flint tribute Ebow Solo or something, and then
>I'd drone for about 5 seconds and then stopped and thank the audience.
>But actually I took his critique to heart and I rarely ever use my E-bow
>anymore.  I still dig it, but i've found other ways to create drones that
>don't require it.

as far as I understood he did not like the drones :-)

actually he complained once that he got all those loopers CD and did not
like most of them
as Andy said, he was rather looking for rap kind of loops and rather dirty
revolution than soft beauty.
I remember having seen a lot of punk and industrial kind of CDs in his big
collection. and Jazz
it fits the dark loft place he had his office in, to which he refered to
as
"sitting in my drab windowless cubicle, totally failing to enjoy another
lovely evening"
on Facebook, amazingly, on his last day!

the ebow somehow was the symbol for a philosophy he did not believe in.

> Thanks Kim for the influence

yes, he certainly looped an impulse to evolve from the Fripp style of tape
looping.
Andre LaFosse was on the list from the very first day and helped us a lot
thinking and ended up finding a way to use loops which pleased Kim a lot
more!
Then again, he did not like the very experimental side either... there was
not so much he really liked all together :-)
But next to his sometimes very clear comments, he was very tolerant. He
laughed at many things and people, but he only would only try to hold
somebody back from doing something he judged seriously unfair. And he had
this clear sense for right and wrong, maybe also because his father was a
lawyer...