Re: Live improv (free download)

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 1:22 AM, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds great! I'm amazed that you can stay away from melodies and keep
> the ambience constantly fresh. Well done!
> http://premonitionfactory.com/demos/june27.mp3

Thanks Per. It took me a few years to develop a set of techniques
regarding ambient live improv and there's still enough to work on ;-)
Sound design is an important part but the real challenge is the
compositional part. For me, interesting means being able to play an
ambient live improv without having the feeling it's getting boring,
too repetitive etc. The trick is to find "the flow", both musically
and mentally. Techniques I often use with ambient are background
drones made with analog delays, non-synced loops of different lengths,
long bright reverbs to add space etc But for me, the most difficult
thing was to learn to play minimal, be patient and learning to wait,
listening to your piece while building it up, being confident that, at
the end, all pieces will fall into it's place as long as you don't
push yourself too hard. It's been very rewarding so far, still
enjoying it every day.

--
Sjaak Overgaauw
http://premonitionfactory.com/