sure.  here goes:

COMPUTER

case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811165083
motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121357
processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041
ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134582
hd: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136098
cd drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827140042

i bought a power supply locally...forgot to order at the time...but some $50 unit from best buy works just fine.  search "power supply 500w" and it'll pull up what you need.

that's it for the basic computer components.  all of that crap just kinda plugs together.  you might want a 3.5" drive for drivers/software that come only in that format...i got an external usb off craigslist and i used it once just to load software.  you could always but an internal multi-format card reader/3.5" drive/sandwich press but i opted against as it seemed superfluous.

check out that hp monitor i mentioned: TFT5600.  it's 1u high and slides in and out...but you gotta get it with the sliding rack rails, which it is normally sold with.  trackball kinda blows so i have a usb mouse sitting on some spare keyboard real estate.

this all makes for a 4u setup, which will fit in this: http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=sku_rack_space_units-4-80&id=125&o=&offset=1&c=80&s=80

i'm sure there are others, but the server case is deep and you'll need a rack case that will afford you the extra room.  plus, you can put your interfaces in the rear as you'll have some spare room.

INSTRUMENT/CONTROL INTERFACE

my keyboard and percussion pad are both usb, which the motherboard already accommodates amply.  my foot controller is midi so i have an m-audio 2x2 usb interface that works great for getting midi in and out of the computer.  midi output distribution (to various processors and hardware synths) is handled by a midi solutions thru box.

AUDIO INTERFACE

here's where you can spend a lot or a little.  i initially spent a little and bought an m-audio delta 66 (4 i/o, spdif i/o) and it sounded pretty crappy.  all my soft synths sounded thin and two-dimensional.  per boysen (from this list) suggested checking out rme.  here again, very expensive new but second hand is very affordable.  the converters are great...much better fidelity and now all my thin soft synths sound SO much better.  so my advice is to buy something worth buying.  you don't have to spend 3 grand on the baddest thing out there, but there are some high-end-of-the-mid-range guys out there that will do the job very well.  lynx, rme, etc...you'll need to look around and of course consider what's enough for your personal needs.  as well, you can go pci, firewire or usb.  i prefer pci, but that's just me.  i picked up an rme multiface for 200 bucks and couldn't be happier.

SOFTWARE

super-subjective, but just so you know:

i have a non-registered (but legit) copy of xp.  service pack 3, i think...anyhow, last major update i reckon.  works great.  seems most everything is written with xp in mind.  i mean EVERYBODY supports it.  i run mobius (among other things) inside plogue bidule.  it's a modular graphic host that actually has a lot under the hood if you need it.  but on the surface you just click and drag virtual cables (audio, midi, etc.) from inputs to outputs and that's it.  can be very quick and easy if you're just hustling trying new shit.  i love it.

MISCELLANY

i have a few old analog synths.  one cool perk is that people have written software editors for them.  so...it's sort of the best of both worlds: analog fidelity and digital/graphical manipulation.  i also have a usb wireless card...good for downloading software.  in hindsight, i would have gone with an internal wireless carb but no big deal.