Re: ADSR stomp box

Rick Walker wrote:
> Bill mentioned the Pigtronix Philosopher's King pedal as being a dream
> coupling of a compressor and an Envelope Generator with an ADSR.
>
> I've always been curious why more guitar players aren't interested in
> having
> a fully functioning ADSR and wonder,  does anyone make an ADSR stomp
> box pedal (in this case, without a compressor).

I reckon that part of it is that guitar players tend to be ultra
conservative,
always looking to what established guitar players use and do.

Also, it takes a certain amount of variation in playing technique to
make a triggered effect work effectively. (then again, the same is true
of distortion, so I guess it just comes back to conservatism).

There are a number of Attack fx available, the most well known being
the Boss "Slow Gear".

The compression is actually necessary to make the ADSR (really an ADS
in the Pigtronix))
work in any useful way. It compensates for the natural decay of the
string.

> The Pigronix does look really cool but I wish it didn't take up so much
> real estate
> (and I really wish I had more money to be able to afford it, currently).

> Any ideas?

In some ways it's much easier to use a swell pedal for a slow attack.
Some nifty footwork, combined perhaps with an extreme compressor
would get you plenty of scope for Attack/Decay/Etc.

For the ultimate in low cost there's also playing techniques to get
 something close to a swell,
and certainly to do the Decay part.
(not on YouTube tho').

Another way is to use an Ebow close to a magnetic p/u,
then the dynamics will go any way you want.
(at the expense of fuzzy sound)

andy butler