Re: semi-ot: pitch shifters

I think your questions are a bit too vague to be correctly answered,
even though Stefan gave a good Max/MSP introduction as usual ;-). For
example you are not telling us what you mean by your Eclipse "can't
keep up with the audio". It is also not clear what you mean by pitch
shifting not being "reliable and accurate". There might be issues with
playing chords into a pitch shifter... Also pitch shifting accuracy
depends on the frequency, if you are shifting a high or low not and if
you are transposing audio up or down in pitch. A qualified guess would
be that you are talking about live audio? (as opposed to audio being
recorded into RAM or elsewhere before pitch transformed).

I can't comment on Stefan's reply but I would like to point out that
instant pitch shifting is not physically possible in a real-time live
input signal. It is indeed possible with plugins that manipulate the
playback of an already recorded audio file on a computer's drive, but
then the software is working with preview calculation as the trick to
get to it right on time. In the real-time world a calculation has to
be performed a little bit "too late" for what is musically correct.
Maybe this is what you man by "not accurate"?

For pitching a signal without using the dry signal in the output I
have experienced some pitch shifting stomp boxes that feel very fast,
like the classic Blue Box by MXR, the Hog by Electroharmonix etc etc.
For a while I used a TC Electronics FireworX that did an "almost OK"
job on pitching down. Except for the FireworX those are analog boxes.
In computer software I doubt that would be possible, at least I have
not seen any software algorithm that transposes live audio without too
much latency. I'm not a programmer but I suspect all audio processing
programming has to rely on setting up buffers in the time line in
order to secure calculations being reliably performed. A computer's
operating system may also add a time buffer to the process. A while
back you could hear the difference as the same plug-ins under OS X
were "slower" according to the extra safety buffer in that system
compared to when run under Windows. That might have changed now
though, I haven't seen any whining about it lately ;-)

Myself I gave up pretty soon on finding a real-time pitch transformer
software. Instead I do as we musicians always do, we make a strong
gesture in some direction that (hopefully) makes the listener believer
they are hearing it right (although it actually is not perfectly
"right"). Such "cheats" include transforming already recorded slices
of a loop (Mobius scripting), using another physical instrument that
actually allows for playing the notes directly at the preferred pitch
and finally to blend the pitch transformed signal with the dry live
signal to mask out the ugly latency.  This last approach works fine
for me with pitch shifting software plug-ins. Ok, so here's sharing
some experiences with different pitch shifting plugins I have tried:
The least CPU intensive one I have found is the PItch Shifter II in
Logic/Mainstage but you have to set its quality to "vocal" for minimal
latency and fidelity degradation and it still sounds rather crappy if
listened to without the masking source audio signal. The cheapest is
Apple's AU Pitch Shifter that comes for free within OS X on any Apple
pc. I used this a lot when building a Mobius looping host in Bidule, a
little slower than the Logic plugin but still ok. Then I have also
tried the free plugin Spectral Magic AU suite by Michael Norris; it
has a better sounding pitch shifter but one that consumes a bit more
CPU power. I too am a big fan of Eventide's processing so I invested
in the SoundToys Native Bundle plugin suite as soon as it became
available as AU. For long time it was only offered as RTAS to be used
in Proo Tools but today there is even a Windows version of these
plugins. One of those plugins, the Crystallizer, offers very good
pitch shifting. Not as timing accurate for a realt-time live input as
an analog stomp box of course, but if you like the classic Eventide
harmonizers this is as close you get in software (and you get a lot
more routing experimentation options than the HM8000 ever had).

Best regards

Per Boysen