Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 09:35:29 +0100
Subject: Re: WHAT SORTS OF FIREWIRE INTEFACES ARE PEOPLE USING THESE DAYS?
From: docittern@gmail.com
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com

I used to use an Edirol UA-700.  It was fine but I was never that wild about the sound so never did any serious recording with it. Now I'm using a Saffire Pro-24.  I like the sound - I play acoustic with a couple of Josephson C42s, and I recently recorded my 4-piece acoustic group with 4 mics. It also works stand-alone and it performs well as a small mixer.

However, I've been having connectivity problems.  Some days it just will not show up and can take a long time before it does.  I've been corresponding with one of their techies and he thinks that either the 400-800 cable isn't any good and I should use an adapter on an 800 cable instead, or that I should go direct into the MacBook rather than through my external drive. I've tried all of that and more and still have problems.  The irritating thing is that some days it works fine, other days it's just moody as hell.  Personally, I think it's a software issue.

I appreciate the flexibility of being able to program the interface, but I think I would prefer straight hardware with on/off switches.  I guess those days are gone...

Anyway, not exactly a recommendation, but the pre-amps are good.