Re: iphone music app recommendations

Since picking up an iPad (mostly for my wife to browse and email on as
her iBook is getting pretty old and useless), I found this list a
great starting place (thanks Paul!):
On Dec 16, 2010, at 2:32 PM, Paul Mimlitsch wrote:

> Here's a list of the ones I'd recommend (organized into categories)
> and have used in performance situations (3GS (4.2.1) iPhone to
> volume pedal to looper):
>
> TOOLS:
> iStrobeSoft - tuner
>
> RECORDERS:
> iProRecorder
> Fire
>
> PROCESSORS:
> SFSsynth (my favorite)
> Resonizer
> Filtatron (Moog Music)
> Otto
>
> AMBIENT (for creating pads etc.)
> Droneo
> KepplersOrrery
> Aura
> Aura Flux
>
> PERCUSSION:
> PanDrumFull
> TongueDrum
> Bowls (nice for pads)
> MandalaMuOdd:Hang
>
> THERIMEN:
> Cosmovox
> BeBot (despite the goofy interface)
>
> NOISY (staticky/ glitchy stuff):
> Space
> iGlendyne
> aardvark
> Sonic Wire
> modAxis Free
>
> INSTRUMENTS:
> ThumbJam (will loop onboard instruments or incoming audio)
> Morphwiz
> Gayageum
> Bubble Harp
> Zen Music
> Musical DNA
> Noise.io Pro (great synth but too much learning curve for me -
> though Amidio apps are great)
>
> VISUALIZERS (great for adding music driven visuals) NOTE: these only
> send video out on an iPhone 4 or iPad:
> iBeams - the best from the standpoint of tweakabillity.  Used on an
> iPad - out to digital projector onto the wall - worked well.
> Audiogasm

Stuff I've discovered since:

Out of all those above, I bought and so far love ThumbJam and Morphwiz.
Jordan Rudess is the pitchman and sometimes creator of both and he's
got impressive YouTube demos:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbs=vid%3A1&q=jordan+rudess+ipad&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=f&oq=&gs_rfai=
ThumbJam is very cool on the iPod Touch/iPhone, since it works well
one-handed; otherwise the size of the iPad is advantage.

I also picked up:
Pianist http://moocowmusic.com/
Crystal Synth http://www.greenoak.com/crystal/
NLog Synth http://www.temporubato.com/
The latter two can be driven by my keyboard using an M-Audio Uno
interface and the iPad Camera connector.

There's at least these several multitrack DAWS:
iSequence
SynthStation (best buy)
Korg iMS-20
nanostudio

And some interesting creative interfaces for music and MIDI control:
touchOSC http://hexler.net/software/touchosc
midipad  http://www.midipad.de/Website/Info.html
expression pad http://expressionpad.com/index.php
PatternMusic MX
Seline HD http://amidio.com/ (they have other cool apps)
Reactable
Sound Scope Space for iPad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSSYJCJ1Oy8&fmt=18
Hex OSC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFGLHhEJpOk&feature=related&fmt=18
Mugician http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN7sjPYz-aI&feature=related&fmt=18
Pianist Pro - External MIDI Control
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtbU6UoPKR8&feature=related&fmt=18
Jasuto Pro modular synthesizer
synthPond http://apps.stfj.net/synthPond/

And generative stuff I've yet to sample:
http://www.generativemusic.com/air.html
Budgie
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/budgie-melody-generator/id368436517?mt=8
Mixtikl 12 Track Mixer of Generative Music, Audio MIDI Loops & Live
FX
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mixtikl-12-track-mixer-generative/id347409277?mt=8
Aphonium  http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/aphonium/id357429007?mt=8#

Some resources:
http://www.metafilter.com/94628/Make-Music-Anywhere
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/11/on-ipad-midi/
http://iosmidi.com/devices/#comment-7
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/tag/ipad-music-software/

and I haven't even looked at the loopers yet; a few:
http://www.trapcode-content.com/proloop/ProLoopScreencast.swf
http://www.tc-helicon.com/products/voicejam/
http://nanoloop.de/iphone

…deep…