Re: OT: Musical discoveries of 2010

I sighted Uusitalo on your list, a fellow countrymen Sasu Ripatti

So Vladislav Delay is an alias of Sasu Ripatti, thats his real name.

:-)

-Petri-

2010/12/30 Matt Davignon <mattdavignon@gmail.com>
Mine:

--Slaraffenland: Danish post-rock band. CD "Private Cinema" is excellent.
--Boss Hoss: German country band that covers pop songs. They're on
youtube. Check out "Hot in Herre", "Word Up" and "Hey Ya"
--Blue Water White Death: kind of a droney folkey thing with pretty
vocals. Short but well-put together album.
--Lumper-Splitter: Actually a great cd with guitarists Lucio Menegon
and Joe Rut. Possible list members?
--Geinoh Yamashirogumi: Japanese modern multi-cultural music ensemble.
They did the soundtrack to Akira, but their 1974 album "Oresuzan" (or
something like that) combines scary psychedelic music with Kabuki,
monkey chant and Tibetan throat singing.
--Elephant9: Norweigan 3 piece instrumental prog band - similar to ELP
without the moog.
--Dawid Szczesny: Polish computer musician who uses jazz samples, but
it sounds like a very old radiator heating up or a rube goldberg
machine.
--Far East Family Band: mid 70s Japanese psychedelia
--Indian Bottom Association: a Baptist church group that sings in
"Lined out hymnody" - very intense!
--Cumbia Digitale (that's a genre name): Got a great comp of
electronic cumbia from ZZK records. (It's the volume 1.) Followed up
on an artist named Chancha Via Circuito, and their cd was also good.
--Mercury Rev: Got back to listening to this band I loved in high
school. "Boces" album is top notch early 90s alternative. "Snowflake
Midnight" is much newer, a bit more sterile and a bit more cheesy with
songs about innocence, but I still like it.
--Uusitalo/Caribou: I usually don't like 4-on-the-floor techno, but
these albums did it in a really creative way. Uusitalo is an alias of
Vladislav Delay.
--krautrock: In general, listening to a lot more krautrock this year.

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com

--