Re: The EDP and the Looperlative and me

 completely understand you preferring the Looperlative, Rick. My point was to answer the question of why anyone might prefer the EDP which seems to come as a shock to some people on this list.

Though they might be dismissed as minor functionality, I'll note that two items on my list can't be replicated on the Looperlative:

* It doesn't have a big time readout that you can absorb at a glance.

* I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a function to let you set the tempo in advance which can actually be rather nice if you are using the looper as the clock source.

It could presumably gain the latter through a software update and maybe approximate the former depending on how much flexibility there is regarding its screen.

But you nailed it when you said the question is whether you want to spend your time working with multiple tracks or working in a more linear fashion. Each can do a bit of the other, but each is also clearly optimized around a particular point of view.

Mark

Hi Mark , as far as I can tell you need to dig deeper in to the LP-1 to reveal its mysteries and I can't for the life of me understand why you are so resistant. . I say  live with the LCD screen and learn not to be so dependent on it. I rarely look at the front panel of mine unless I have lost track of which track I'm on. I almost always use sync record and there is a work around that lets you set the tempo in advance . You simply record a blank loop without playing anything to set clock tempo for other effects. Works like a charm, I do it all the time. It takes a couple of moments of silence before starting to play but I don't sense it is distracting to an audience. When I moved from the Repeater to the LP-1 I gave up some functions that where not reproduced in the same way. I jettisoned time stretch and mellotron mode (though its possible to fake both things in the LP-1 now) and I took the LP-1 as its own animal and I proceeded to dig in as deeply as I could and I spent a lot of time doing it. i find it fascinating that some folks on this list are willing to take that kind of time to get inside the machine and some want everything nice and simple. One list member gave up on the LP-1 after spending a paltry  two weeks? What the fuck can one hope to possibly understand about a machine this sophisticated in two weeks?????? perhaps enough to realize it isn't an EDP, but not enough time to understand its potential. This is a machine that takes a bit of work to understand just like the EDP did.  Unlike the time I've spent trying to make modeling amps sound right, working  to learn how to use the LP-1 has been totally gratifying and musically rewarding to me. You saw my performance at Y2K10 didn't you? Did I look like someone who was struggling with my gear? I would be happy to help you accelerate your growth on the machine if time is an issue, and I know that with a family and a high powered tech job,  time is at a premium for you. But at this stage of the game I'm a bit exhausted by giving out free advice to people about the LP-1.
Bill