[Fwd: Re: It just goes...]

K. Douglas Baldwin wrote:

> Stephan Ball's comment on the texture of conversation reminds me of an
> observation I once read about and have subsequently observed myself:
>groups
> of people tend to converse in waves of about 15 to 20 minutes. If you
>enter
> the state that Stephan refers to (perhaps we could call it a focused
> division of attention) you will often hear the volume and complexity of
> crosstalk rise and fall in these long waves. I feel it's important for
>all
> musicians to bring their attention to these kinds of cycles, particularly
> when performing live. On some of my best solo gigs I've felt I could
>"ride
> the waves" of the listeners and maintain attention to the performance by
> holding an awareness of this phenomenon. I believe looping in general
>has a
> real atraction for those who (either consciously or not) seek a resonance
> with these slower cycles.
>
> >I know this is getting pretty far out in OT land, but I often notice (or
> maybe
> >just lapse into a particular state) that when in a "noisy" environment
>such
> as a
> >crowded restaurant, an effort can be made to treat all of the various
> sounds
> >(snippets of conversations, clinks of glass and silverware, etc., at
> various
> >frequencies) in a detached or homogeneous way.  The result is a rather
> smooth
> >cacophony that rises and falls with bits of recognizable verbage coming
> >occasionlly to the surface.  It takes a little effort to treat all of
>the
> sound
> >sources in such an environment as totally equal with no intrinsic
>meaning
> in
> >terms of language, etc., but the result is a very interesting and
>somewhat
> >exhilarating, "sound collage" experience.
> >
> >This is probably brought on by many years of intense listening to music
>of
> >various sorts (including my own) and probably fostered my current
>interest
> in
> >some of the more ambient derivations of electronica by groups such as
>the
> Orb
> >and FSOL.  The point in all this?  Uh, well....
> >
> >Steve

        by the definitions of hypnosis the depth of the trance state is
related
to one thing: effortless concentration. this very simialar state is also
reffered to as no mind in some asian cultures. to achieve this state one
must be RELAXED. no ego. no mind. no worries.                   when you
catch it it is
a beautiful thing. i agree i've experienced THE feeling playing and
listening. thinking about that exeprince makes me think: public
performance was not in the mix. usually it involved playing With
musicians i've played with a long time or alone...but never in front of
a crowd. most of the time i'm thinking about what can go wrong and being
self critical of each note i pick. that is a different feeling
altogether for me.....comments?......jp