Re[2]: John Cage recordings

"Dennis W. Leas" wrote:
>> It makes me wonder where looper music will be classified in fifty years.

Jeff Duke...
> How is loop music classified now?
> When I think of loop music I found that it is the process that its named
>by
> and not the music itself. Why? Well the music is so varied that the
>process is
> the only thing that we all have in common in an absolute sense. Read the
> opening page of the LD site, it seems to me now and (forever?) the only
> possible definition of loop music.

LD has been such a great place to meet a vast cross section of different
genre
musicians, yet a place where we have something vital in common. There's
not many
other places out there that can say that...

It's tough though when you look for an audience... It's almost better to
completely ignore the looping aspect and get real solid on what you give
the
audience. High energy? or ambience? Dance grooves? Electronic(a)?
Illbient?
Rock? Acoustic? Humor/drama? Storytelling? It could be any of these...
Throw in
the fact that the performance will be bewildering to at least a few
onlookers,
and dismissed as pre-recorded or gimmicky. Good way to cut the wheat from
the
chaff! 8-)

I've found that (at least in my mind) adding a multi-media twist really
opens
things up... lets the listener forget how the sound is being created and
somehow
a little less overtly analytical. Maybe it's just enough overwhelm to shut
down
that process for the time being.

Anyway... beware the term "LOOP MUSIC"!

best regards,