The Mysticism of Sound

Great recommendation, Jamie!  "The Mysticism of Sound" by Hazrat Inayat
Khan
is one of the best books I've ever read on music, musical perception, etc.
I consider it a "must-read" for every musician, no matter what style of
music or level of playing.  I'll admit that a lot of the content may
provoke
reactions ranging from "Too woo-woo!" to "This is so blatantly obvious why
even mention it?"  But I've passed this book along to beginners and masters
alike in various musical fields (Jazz, Rock, Avant-Garde, Western
classical,
Indian classical, etc.) and I know that everyone got something out of it.
Hazrat Inayat Khan was a famous Sufi ("mystical" branch of Islam) from
India
who lived in the late nineteenth/early twentieth century and was known for
bringing Sufism to the West.  He was an accomplished poet, translator,
author and musician (but not to be confused with his contemporary of the
same name, Ustad Inayat Khan -- the great sitar player).  This book had
been
recommended to me and it took about 5 years to find a copy, but was well
worth the wait.  I'm glad to see that it's widely available again.

Another book along the same lines that I'd recommend to the group is
"Through Music to the Self" by Peter Michael Hamel.  My copy was published
in 1979 by Shambala Publications in Boulder, Colorado.  I don't know
whether
this is still in print, but it's worth looking up.  It deals mostly with
the
"intuitive" side of music making, touching on various points in musical
history from a variety of musical traditions.  There are also some good
discussions of modern experimental music, minimalism, etc.  It too can get
bit murky on the "mystical" side, but it's definitely worth a read.

James