Re[2]: Live Real Time Guitar Effects

     To whoever started this thread as well as the rest of you real time
     effects freaks...

     Here's a couple of my favorite conventional (non-Vortex) dsp tricks.
     One is a cloud looper to stay on topic. The other is a doppler
     flange/delay. Both are non tempo specific.

     This assumes you have some form of programmable midi controller, or
     non programmable but with several preset cc controller sockets like
     the Roland FC-200 with it's dedicated pedal inputs. Being able to set
     specific value ranges and reverse scaling is pretty important to fine
     tuning this sort of patch. I use an old Digitech PMC-10 midi floor
     controller (As does Kim) and you'll sometimes hear us sing the
praises
     of this unit. The only other units curretly in production which do
     this sort of thing well are the Rocktron All Acess and possibly the
     Custom Audio Electronics RSB 10, although they've got their own ideas
     about how you will set your stuff up. they're both pretty pricey as
     well... I don't know how deep the Roland FC-200 pedal goes, but it's
     dedicated pedal inputs on the back (6 or 8?) could allow for some
nice
     tweaking assuming you can select the channel they transmit over
     (hopefully being able to program them to send on different channels).
     Someone just mentioned the Rolls Midi Wizard allows for a lot of
pedal
     inputs... don't know how programmable it is though with the cc's.
     There's a new breed of controllers like the Korg KAOS and Phatman
     which allow some fun looking hands-on creative tweaking of cc params,
     but I'm not sure you can do much with them using your feet...

     Many dsps (Digitech IPS33b and Lexicon LXP15) have dedicated pedal
     inputs on the rear of the units making this type of patching really
     easy. Of course you need an expression pedal like the Boss/Roland
     EV5... My Boss GT-5 is especially nice for this sort of thing as well
     although they mysteriously don't have a patch available for delay
     input level! Curses for this!!!

     Trick number 1. Patch a cc (continuous controller) to the delay
     time... you can set narrow limits (1ms - 20ms) with fairly high
     feedback for real time flange sort of effects. Or wide sweeps (1ms -
     500ms) for wild doppler type effects... on these I usually also patch
     to delay output level AND feedback or regen to balance the short
delay
     runaway sounds with the longer delays with lower regen rates. My most
     usefull versions usually have a longer delay with a few repeats and
     lower delay level for a fairly friendly conventional delay which
turns
     into a scary near-runaway death flange in a drainpipe. Slightly
moving
     the pedal gives some faux lfo type action to whatever range your
in...
     theres often many useful points along the way with these patches as
     well. Sneaking a pedal movement in while pausing allows you to change
     delays/sounds without the doppler action...

     Number 2. For looping or cloud like pads, use a long delay with high
     regen, patch a cc to delay input level and swell notes into the delay
     momentarily... you can back off and still play around the new cloud.
     The trick is to have another reverse scaled cc patched to regen on
the
     same pedal and have it back the regen off slightly as you pedal in a
     new note. I always have a volume pedal inserted between my main
guitar
     signal and the dsp so I can do smooth swells with my main signal as
     well as the midi cc swells. If your unit can patch a LFO to a
     parameter like delay time, panning, etc. then be controlled with
     another patch varying the LFO speed or depth, then you can get really
     wild with what happens to the cloud AFTER you've swelled in a note...
     Usually two expeds are a basic requirement for getting complex with
     multiple mutations... Then you could have a pitch shift which mutates
     the whole mess as well...

     It's amazing how different these types of patches sound with various
     distortions and clean sounds. You'll probably find that certain types
     will work better with your creation than others... Knowing what your
     starting sound is sometimes helps guide you in your param tweaking.

     Good luck and have fun!
     -Miko