--gasparyan / brook--

Hey now,

Sorry you folks had such a bad experience
with the Gasparyan/Brook show.

I just caught the Boston show last night, and
thought it was fabulous.

Usually i can't stand the use of prepared
sequences, etc., in live performance.  No
judgement there, it just isn't to my taste.

But the Gasparyan/Brook performance last
night opened my ears considerably to that
technique.  I was there for the sound check
too, and heard some talk about them having
very little rehearsal time before touring
(compounded by the language barrier), so
maybe that's why the first few shows were
so rough.

But last night Gasparyan did not seem one
bit uncomfortable (except with not being able
to understand the english-spoken introductions,
etc.).  He fit right in both with the duduk and
his vocals, and seemed to be having a blast.

And i'm not a guitarist, so take my word only
for what it's worth.  But i was blown away by
Brook's playing.  Restrained where it needed
to be, and downright stunning at times.
(Actually the most impressive thing i heard
was when he solo'd during a the sound check
while listening out on the floor to the house
mix--some very compelling and compassionate
soloing which seemed totally effortless to him.)
He clearly wasn't as comfortable/experienced
with being in front of a live audience as
Gasparyan was though.

I thought all the elements came together
incredibly well, including the implementation of
the pre-programmed stuff.

Apparently so did the rest of the audience.  They
got called back up to do two encores, even though
Brook explained that they already performed all
the material they had rehearsed!  So they just
played, at great demand, two pieces that they
had performed earlier!

And the audience wanted more....

I'd be at the Knitting Factory now if i could have
gotten the time off from work.

My observations,
peter koniuto