Mr. Bungle anyone?

Fridays show in Santa Cruz at Palookaville was amazing! Having not heard
their new release, I wasn't aware of their addition of ethereal Beach Boys
style harmonies with a twist... Amazing display of musicianship from
everyone.

I also didn't know that Mike Patton played keys. Sometimes singing with
one, two and sometimes a third mic as well as tweaking his vocal
processors with dsp's AND triggering samples and synth sounds with filter
tricks while singing, Mike Patton went beyond any singer I've ever seen.
With the possible exception of formal electronic music treatments. Sounds
ranging from demonic shrieking to classic jazz singing to animal, jungle
and industrial noise effects came from his vocals and signal processors.

On the looping front, it seemed like there were at least a few and
possibly more segments of looped samples as the basic skeleton which the
rest of the band (and sometimes not) played with. While it was somewhat
obvious to me, It also seemed entirely seamless and appropriate and was
definitely not distracting in any way. The fact that as a band they were
capable of incredible flash cut changes of sound, dynamics, timbre and
genre completely overshadowed any of the canned parts which we've all
mentioned in previous discussions here.

Don't know the name of the rest of the gang, but it was Bass-Vox,
Sax-Flute-Keys, Percussion (Patton said the percussionist was a UCSC music
professor, Walter ???), Drums, Guitar-Keys-Vox (Spruance), Vox-Keys
(Patton).

Guitar sounds were great from Trey Spruance and he went direct. Looked
like he had a Marshal JMP 1 rack tube pre as well as a Line 6 floorboard
and possibly a POD. Just a house monitor, no amp. Some wailing fat surf
sounds as well as great tremolo stuff and of course the requisite heavy
metal sorts of sounds. He also played keys much of the time.

There was some great schtick from Patton where he asked if any of Walter's
students were out there and if they actually learned anything "from this
clown"... One guy said he learned snare drum and Mike screamed "Well get
the fuck up here NOW!!!" and they got the drummer's snare out there for
him to play. He played a long fast roll with Patton holding one of his
processed mics over it. Patton then said "Hey... I thought that was pretty
good, but Walter still thinks YOU SUCK!!! SO GEDDOUTTAHERE!!!!!!!" The guy
actually took it very well and it was a good laugh. Not sure if it was
staged, but it was very funny.

Anyway... it was an awesome show, but it was also awesomely loud with real
ear damage capability. I'm sorry I only had bar napkins threre to stuff in
my ears. Woke up with my ears ringing... Full house all ages show as
well... Great audience and no sign of violence... lots of smiling faces
despite the extreme content and aggression of the music. High marks for
audience vibe!

best to all...
-Miko

Miko Biffle                          "Running scared from all the usual
distractions..."
mbiffle@svg.com