Re: Warez (was Sharks Lungs in Haggis)

>speaking of (and to) cynical snobs:
>
>I play the guitar and write tunes for my trio.  I've played the guitar for
30
>of my 39 years.  I have a degree in music.

I play the guitar and write tunes for my trio.  I've played the guitar for
15
of my 22 years.  I have a degree in music.

>And I have to compete for ear-time with people who make their music on
>computers, who know software rather than harmony, who judge a 303 as a
>standard for time-keeping, instead of a good bass player.  Or with people
who
>stand up with a cheap acoustic and their clinical diagnosis and sing
>four-chord songs about it.

So, do i.

>And let's face it, we all have to compete for ear-time with Britney Spears
>and the Back Street Boys and Mariah Carey and the usual.  If John Coltrane
>came back to earth and landed in your town, how many people would show up
>see him?  More than would go see Blink 182?  I bet not.

agree.

>I use the best tools I can afford.  I don't pirate software and I don't
steal
>guitars or other tools.  I sometimes cop a lick off of other people's
>records, but I've never heard anyone say 'don't steal my licks!'  And I
have
>used many of the same notes and chords other great musicians have used,
>but
>not in the same order or tempo.

well, didn't use any licks other ppl played, did sample some other stuff:))

>If someone out there wants to justify or rationalize themselves because
they
>can't afford software, and hates being labeled a pirate, well, my empathy
>lies elsewhere.

I don't care if i'm labeled as a pirate, criminal or whatever. i just
wanted
to point that there's also other side of warez IMO. Even Bill Gates
supports
what i said. In one interview he sad that microsoft is not interested in
illegal copies of microsoft's software which is being used at homes. what
bothers the software companies is that other companies don't buy the
software and they're making money with it.

>Like with the former student of mine who went off to college and
>discovered
>that his new guitar lessons suck.
>
>I'd rather hear him play than Gregor, though he may be less skilled.

That's like being homophobic and saying that you rather like to listen to
straight ppl that to gay. All it matters is the music, IMO.

>Mituyake oyasin,
>
>Kevin

Gregor