RE: Mixer Questions - Behringer MX2642A

Hi Jon,

I owned a Behringer MX2642 (the old model) for four years now (I got it
when
I didn't want to use my Fostex 280 Multitrack anymore), when it was still
expensive (paid DM1200, now ~ $580, back then about $800), and when I
assembled my live rack and realized that my Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro was way too
small, I got a MX2642A for ~ $300 used, mint condition.

Yes, you are right, the Behringer is without competition in its price
range,
and although many people attack Behringer for stealing technological
concepts (which is true, look for example at the appearance of the Mute/Alt
1/2 button on the new generation of the Behringer 2802).

technical rundown:
noise levels and frequency response are well above the comparable Mackie
products for example. People always go on about eq's and their respective
quality, "warmth" et al, all I have to say is I get along with them. The
idea to use a 4-band graphic eq instead of the 3-band semiparametric for
the
stereo channels is something one could argue about - in my case, the stereo
channels are mostly used for synths, so there isn't the need for that much
eq correction. The four additional stereo ins (channel 17-24) only have two
aux sends available each (1&3 for channel A and B, 2&4 for channel C and
D),
so some planning might be useful when connecting your equipment.

connections:
I use the console together with Behringer Ultramizer (Mastering Processor),
Digitech Studio4 (Multifx), Sony HR-GP5 (Guitar MultiFX), Digitech RDS2001
(oldschool delay/chorus/flanger), MAM RS3 (analogue filter), E-Mu ESi-32
(Sampler), Behringer Composer (Compressor/Gate), Yamaha SY85 (Synth
Workstation), Korg Prophecy (Synth), Quasimidi Sirius (Techno workstation),
Line6 DL4 (delay modeler/looper), Akai Headrush (delay/looper), Korg
AX1000G
(guitar floorboard).
Tricky Stuff: Aux 1&3->Studio4, Aux 2->Sony, Aux 4->Headrush, Aux 5->RS3,
Aux 6->RDS2001, Sub 1&2->DL4, Sub 3&4->ESi-32, Control Out -> Sirius
Carrier
(used for Vocoder and for Beat recognition system), Direct out of channel 2
(vocals) -> Sirius Analyze (for Vocoder). The Composer is inserted in
channel 1&2 (vocals and trombone/sax). The effects use the additional
stereo
inputs (A->Studio4, B->RS3, C->Studio4, D->Sony) while the loop-based
devices are fed to "normal" channels to allow for extensive effects
treatment. The output feeds the Ultramizer, which in turn feeds the PA (via
its XLR outputs). The Main insert is used as a direct out for tape
recording.

philsosophy:
using the control output of the console for the Sirius Carrier in, anything
can function as a vocoder carrier or as a source for the beat recognition
system (important to synchronize the Sirius' step sequencer to a running
loop, and in turn syncing any MIDI gear like synced delays to the loop).
Also, as everything can be routed to the subs, so can everything be looped
into the dl4 or sampled with the ESi-32. There are some limitations with
the
aux-connected effects, as channels A-D can only feed two specific auxes
(see
above), and channel 1-16 can only feed either aux 3&4 or 5&6. For this, I
tried to connect only devices to Channel A-D that normally don't need
extensive effects treatment (as the multieffects). Aux 1&2 are used for the
most flexible multi-fx, while the pairs 3&4 and 5&6 each have one
loop-oriented effect in the pair (Headrush re RDS2001).

I constructed this setup only a short time ago (july), but had considerable
success using it so far. The Behringer functions great in its role, as does
my old Behringer MX 2642...

Cheers,

                Rainer

Rainer Straschill