AES

Hi folks,

Just went down to AES here in LaLa land for a bit of a look-see.
I could only be there for about half an hour today 'cos I had some other
stuff to take care of.
Spoke to the guy at Yamaha about mLan.
He said the "8p?"(can't remember the designation) would go into production
in Japan in October, 12 channels of audio (didn't check SR/bit rate, damn)
32 channels of MIDI, looks like it's PowerMacs only (!!!!!!!), he
"expected"
full compatability with PCMCIA firewire cards for those of you with
Wallstreets and Lombards, ASIO drivers, mixing software, he had it running
with Cubase and the ASIO driver.$1495 list maybe, they'll be coming over
from Japan by sea!
Digidesign is going to be giving out its free version of Protools over the
internet in couple of weeks, 8 channels of audio, 48 MIDI, Mac and Win 98.

Had a quick chat with Mr David Z at the Cycling74 hilarious "modular" stand
complete with woolly shag pile rug.He showed me MSP 2, some VERY cool
things
happening there, the DSP window can now send its data to a patch, inputs
and
outputs can be rerouted by a patch on the fly, some cool new display
options.MSP is now Directconnect and Rewire capable with 512 virtual audio
channels.It will be coming out (maybe December) at the same time as Max
4.0,
which has this new functionality so that patches can create new patches,
set
up objects, configure windows, connect cords, the lot.Way far out.
Windows version of Max/MSP expected at the beginning of next year he
reckoned.He actually seemed more positive about that than I've previously
seen.

I long since ran out of fingers that I haven't crossed for all this shit to
happen though.

Lots of weird noises coming out of the Electrix stand, didn't see the
Repeater, I have to admit I didn't have time to look very hard,hopefully
I'll get back there over the weekend.The stand with the most whacked out
sounds was the Eventide one, a guy with a Strat, a volume pedal and a
couple
of Orvilles giving it large portions through a 4 speaker setup, he seemed
pretty happy with life.I want one.

L8r