Re:Akai MPC 2000 vs. EDP (echoplex)

 I have used the MPC 2000 extensively.  No you cannot sample while
listening
to another sample or sequence.  You can play samples forward and
Backwards.
Saples can be One Shot, Looped, Played all the way to the end with One
press,
or played until you release a pad.  The same sample can be mapped to
different pads with different tunings, envelope settings playback mode
etc...
 There are NO real-time sample/Loop functions.  I used to build tracks by
making a loop, recording it to DAT and then make another loop while
monitoring the DAT so on and so on.  The MPC is the definative Hip Hop
box,
but it kind of stops there.  I have recorded whole albums using just the
sampler and sequencer (32 megs RAM).  DON"T sell your EDP to get one BUT
they
are really cool together.  I also used to sample Loops from my EDP and Jam
Man into the MPC for storage and assembly on the sequencer.  Being able to
start and stop and stutter samples causes different musical 'happenings'
than
you get with an EDP alone (an oft-abused technique in Hip Hop).

In a message dated 9/29/00 9:45:47 PM,