EDP more loops on the fly?

   Lets say you made a loop and did not think about
making other loops before hand, but the loop you have
now is so cool you must have a copy of it to riff on
and one for playback. How do you make a copy on the
fly with out destroying the original? When I do "loop
copy", nothing happens. When I make another loop in
the "more loops" parameter it starts over with
silence.
  Note:once your mind thinks it knows how this thing
works, it's hard to bend your thoughs in to seeing it
any other way. I can't seem to get the flow of the lay out.