midi in looping ?

Not yet having had my hands on a "real" looper, I'm still trying to
figure out what they let you do <g>   My question of the day is do
looping units typically support recording midi in addition to audio?  Is
this something that some units support and others don't?  Or do you need
to have a separate synced unit (such as a hardware sequencer) to record
the midi?  I think this is a feature I'd really like in a looper
(although it's all just imaginings at this point !  lol), so if there
are specific ones that do and don't (including the yet-to-be-released
Repeater), I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks,
Elby