OT Recording Question - Roland VS 840

Hey gang,

I'm working with my friend's Roland VS 840 digital recorder, and I've hit a
snag.  Say I record a drum loop on track 1, then overdub a guitar part on
track 2.  When I play track 2 back by itself, I get the drum loop AND the
guitar together, and no apparent way to separate them.  If I then record
something else to track 3, then that track contains the new signal plus
what's on tracks 1 and 2.  I'm following the instructions carefully, but I
assume I'm doing something wrong.  Any ideas?

Incidentally, it seems like a nice enough piece of equipment, once you get
over the usual Roland quirks like the awful documentation and the "why have
one button when you can have twenty?" syndrome.  Certainly a step up from
my
old Yamaha 4-track.

Thanks.

Peter