Re: Loopers-Delight-d Digest V01 #22

Loopers-Delight-d-request@loopers-delight.com wrote:

> Subject: Re: Responding to "gig spam"
> Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 10:11:22 -0800
> From: rich <rich@nuvisionsca.com>
> To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
>
> This is an interesting thread, i think, in that we are collectively
> defining some boundaries.  How harsh should one be in critiquing a
> fellow Looper?  Should we be soft, because we might hurt their
> feelings?  Hurt their career?

Rich,

You're raising a philosophical question. Maybe this thread is a gauge of
where the collective mind of the list's subscribers is.

In general, it seems to me that the notion of "common courtesy" should
be followed, but I'm beginning to understand that a collective or a
community formed electronically, forgoes the social norms that are
assumed and expected in face-to-face physical and aural contact. That's
why an electronic forum is so exciting and liberating, and also very
tedious at the same time.

I've learned that thoughtfulness and grace are not always what e-mail
lends us to in the trade-off for immediate and free-form communication.
Being free, it's also considered disposable just like a radio broadcast.
Yet we expect a response in return for our time taken to read and reply,
even if they responses are inflammatory.

How do you define the difference between an announcement and an
advertisement?

I don't know the answer. The difference seems to be a baffling matter of
discerning the difference between innocence and manipulation. Some
people are really clever at the art of manipulation, an art that the
advertising copy writer, or any good writer has to perfect.

Also, some people are not as adept as others in verbalizing feelings and
impressions, like Greg Lehrman, in order to offer a somewhat intelligent
critique via email. It's interesting to see how so many list members
have formed a long discussion thread in response to his remarks, which
defined "good music" and "real art" on the traditional terms aesthetic
terms that he used.

Even though this list is usually always too long to read, what I would
really hate to see happen is to have this list dominated by one or two
aggressive participants who fill the space up with self-serving arcana
that discourages, and eventually forces the whole range of participants
who want to get something done, no matter how profound or trifling, from
the professional to the hobbyist, to unsubscribe from this forum.

That doesn't seem to be a possibility here on Loopers-Delight because
this list is primarily focused on a particular set of electronic devices
for making sound and music. The ideas and opinions about the sound and
music that's made with these devices is only of secondary importance.

Best regards,
Eric
--

sound thinking: http://pages.ripco.net/~eleon/