Re: Roland VG8 Guitar system?

At 12:01 PM 1/17/01 -0500, Legion <Legion@voicenet.com> wrote:
>I honestly don't have much need for more "guitar" sounds but the idea of
making
>my guitar play "weird" sounds and "track" properly is very intriguing. Can
you
>program the VG8 to play strange sounds that are unguitarlike? I listened
to some
>of the WAV files on vg8.com and it certainly seems like it but I'm not
>sure
>what's the VG and what's the effects and or original guitar sound.

i tried a vg-8 for a week, with pretty much this same agenda.  the
non-guitarlike stuff is less well developed on that box than the guitar
emulations are: only a handful of different categories of sound, and those
not as configurable as i would have liked.  still lots of fun though, and
the synthetic models did respond pretty well to guitar specific techniques
like pick noise, etc.  i would have kept it except for one thing: when
trying to play long, sustained notes in isolation using the synthetic
models, i got quiet but noticable "glitches" in the sustained sound: little
bursts of odd noise.  this was confirmed by the very knowledgable sales
guy, so i don't think it was operator error.  since i wanted to do
soundscape stuff as part of the repetoire, this was enough for me to return
it.  for more dense material, i don't think it would have been noticable,
but you might want to check this out.  anyone else experienced this?
haven't tried the vg-88 yet to see if this has been fixed in it.  are there
more synthetic models in the 88 than the 8?
___
dan mcmullen, ca, usa                      don't worry - pay attention
mailto:dog@well.com                                       707-485-0220
pgp fingerprint  =  1C70 8D81 6B94 93A9 F2D8  9609 2122 BF70 8619 EDAF