NPR, Government Grants, etc...

Howdy all,

I think that NPR has become more watered down over the past 10 years, kind
of pandering to the "Family Values" crowd.  Maybe it has to do with all of
the same people reporting/commenting becoming older and more family
oriented.  They haven't seemed to pick up much new blood over the years. I
think that Odyssey just went into it's 25th year.  But what else is there
listen to on the radio?  Dr. Laura or Rush Limbaugh? Madonna or Britney?
More oldies or classic rock?  What other stations have featured Robert
Fripp, Bob Moog, Charlie Haden or Bill Frissel?  Not to mention local
talent
(if you live somewhere with a local NPR station).  NPR is the only major
thing happening outside of commercial radio.  Sure there is community and
college radio, but these are few and far between.  I think that American
Radio is in the saddest shape in it's history.  I used to have a community
radio show with my wife which was 2 hours every Sunday night.  We
specialized in 'Out' music whether it was Jazz (Sun Ra, Ayler, Coltrane,
Cecil Taylor, etc), Electronic (Subotnick, Eno, Arcane Device, Teitelbaum,
etc...), Improvisation (Zorn, Borbetomagus, AACM, etc...), Experimental
Rock
(Fred Frith, Fripp, ReR label, etc...) or Modern Composors (Cage, Xenakis,
Berio, etc..).  Our audience was small but dedicated.  Without the
generosity of the community our show wouldn't have existed.  There is no
way
this kind of show could exist on commercial american radio.  Yet I
understand this kind of program isn't too uncommon in Europe...  If there
were more government support for cultural development like quality radio
for
instance, I think we as musicians would have more options in the variety
of
music that we choose to play and a more appreciative and learned audience.

We would also stand a better chance at getting payed for being original.

U.S. Radio today = Garbage in, Garbage out.

This all kind of leads into Grants:

The city of Berlin spends approximately 20 times the amount of money on
the
arts than the entire United States.
Given that the various orchestras, opera companies and museums receive the
lion's share of the funding they still have managed to pay a generous
living
to american artists as varied as jazz violinist Billy Bang and Avant/goth
Diva Diamanda Galas (D.G. uses loops on her vocals).  Try to make a living
that way here.  Fat chance.  People who love creative music in the u.s.
often bemoan the lack of new talent in more adventurous music here and end
up listening to a lot of artists from England and Europe and elsewhere.
I think that because our Government, which is culturally shackled by
right-wing reactionaries, refuses to support the arts in more than a
meansprited/stingy way and because of this has managed to stymie the
intellectual and spiritual growth of our American culture.  Whatever
happened to the idea of Art for Arts sake!  Maybe government patronage
means
a paternalistic attitude regarding training people to learn about the
arts,
but what happens if there is no guidance?  The level of quality
degenerates
to the lowest common denominator (i.e. dumb kids).  Most sales of music
today are to easily impressionable youth for pap that has no artistic
merit
and is only created for purely commercial reasons.  Music and Art in the
USA
has become a disposable consumer good with the longevity of used toilet
paper.  To make it as a musician here usually means that you must present
yourself like a whore.  Do what the customer/record
company/producer/marketing department wants or be forever obscure and
marginalized.  Since popular music is totally driven by marketing, talent
and skill have been replaced by attitude and hype.  Anyway my point seems
echo an earlier post from someone else that was saying that the support of
the arts has historically been  from Governments.  And I agree that it has
had it's ups and downs, but at least there was something to show for it in
the end whether you like it or not.  No Art funding means less or no
lasting
tradition of Art.  I also don't think that corporations have been or will
be
able to replace a free societies art support.  Corporate Art is neutered
by
requirements of conforming to corporate cultures non-threating don't rock
the boat mentality.  If Disney and AOL/Time-Warner are your staples for
culture then you will probably disagree.

One last example of why Art Funding is needed:

Does anyone remember EAR Magazine?  This used to be my road map to new
creative music of many different styles.  They covered all of the artists
mentioned above plus many, many others.  I found out about more music from
one magazine than all of my music lessons and college education combined.
This all died when they lost half of their grant money when New York
killed
it's arts funding.  I'm sure that EAR was only a small part of all the
arts
that dried up when this happened.  A lot of shows didn't happen.

I see Art funding as the cost of educating a society in aesthetics,
diversity and the pricelessness of free expression.  Without the arts we
are
just mindless drones-slaves to endless corporate consumption.

I step off the soapbox,

Nick Wilson

Why does our society value money over all other things or ideas?