Re: Perception is---anything

"Robert Eberwein" <robert_eberwein@hotmail.com> put forth:

> Is it not possible that *Perception is NOT everything*. --That there are
NOT
> an infinite way to see anything- but, rather, one way that allows the
> greatest appreciation of the thing. Maybe not everything is relative, but
> absolute.

Well, if everything WAS relative my Christmas card list would be a lot
longer than it is.  Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

> I notice this in putting a song together. Most of the time I settle with
one
> of the infinite possibilities. But SOMETIMES I find that absolutely
perfect
> thing [chord/word/sound/change] that had been there all along. What if
> everything is like that? That means that there would be MOST RIGHT thing
> say to your girlfriend at a certain moment- as opposed to an infinite
range
> of possible things. There would be the MOST RIGHT time to get pregnant,
the
> right person to accompany you on your trip to Maui, the right song to
>play
> at the wedding gig, the RIGHT way to raise your kids...The RIGHT delay
unit
> to buy... The RIGHT way to handle the rude clerk at the computer store...

I tend to think that this would be provable and true only if we had all the
answers.  At times it seems that, when I'm working on a song, it's similar
to what Michaelangelo said about finding the sculpture/shape inside the
stone, and bringing it out.  As far as girlfriends go though there is
usually a better time than we guys choose for most things. :)

> Maybe it's not all cool/good. Maybe we need to search out the sublime.
Maybe
> there are folks out there who've subconsciously joined in an effort to
make
> us all think that there should be no standards-for anything. And maybe
they
> are motivated by not wanting their limitations to be highlighted, next to
> excellence [excellence is the first thing to go when one believe that
> perception is everything]...

When someone tries to convince me of a void of standards, what is normally
buried underneath all that is a shadow set of standards that is the real
agenda content, that cannot be exerted until I think there are none.  This
is also common to a number of cult strategies that I won't go into.

You know, this is actually becoming a fruitful discussion!

Stephen Goodman
http://www.earthlight.net/Studios * The free Loop of the Week!
http://www.mp3.com/StephenGoodman * New MP3 Releases!
http://StephenGoodman.iuma.com * Even more MP3s!