Re: double neck guitar and bass

> Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had a Guit-bass or something
similar,
>  what they prefer to have on top or bottom, what kinds they have, and
the like!

I have an original 1975 Ibanez 2404. It's an SG version with a bass
(very similar to the Gibson short scale of that period) on top and 6
string with two humbuckers below. VERY playable and sounds great.

I also play bass and guitar and have to admit I got this more for it's
showmanship in my space rock band as well as the fact that I just plain
wanted this exact guitar for years and years. practically bass/guitar
doublenecks raise some problems such as:

1. You need to find the right amp. A bass amp is usually the default but
this severely limits the guitar tone. if you use a small guitar amp or
the wrong speaker, the bass will blow the speaker and you have to start
over again. I'm still looking for the right one but currently go through
a Roland Bolt 60. I'll probably have to change the speaker sometime.

2. VAST difference in volume levels on the necks and pickups. I had mine
professionally set-up  right after buying it and noticed that no matter
what we did  the bass solo was one level, the guitar solo was another,
and if I flipped them both on the same time on the tri-position
everything went level haywire and some pickup combinations (on both
necks) were softer while others were louder. You don't just flip a
switch and jam with this thing so a good compressor is an absolute must.
I've experimented a bit and ended up getting (and loving) the Tech21
Bass Compactor. It's the PERFECT stompbox solution for the varying
levels and combinations this thing puts out.

Loopingwise I haven't done anything with this yet. The levels on my EDP
are so damn finicky as it is it's hard to get it to cooperate. I do
enjoy playing rhythm guitar and then doing the solo on the bass neck
though :)

> Also, I thought you all should check this out:
http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=189

I've been looking for the 2404 for about 3-4 years and would have gladly
bought anything else that came my way but I simply could not find a
bass/guitar doubleneck anywhere and when they would show up they were
third generation knockoffs and poorly made and VINTAGE!!! prices. If I
didn't come accross the one I have I would consider buying the above
Spirit/Steinberegr in a flash. $500 is extremely reasonable for such a
creature.

I've noticed in the past few months a few have showed up on ebay both
well known and copy company instruments. The copies are selling dirt
cheap IMO for some reason. I guess now it's just out of fashion to like
70's style prog rock instruments. So much the better for those that like
them. Any day of the week some of these $5-700 guitars would easily sell
for $800-1000 from NYC dealers if they had a chance. The Ibanez I own is
a very collectable piece but for some reason it's slipping through the
cracks on ebay. that said I've seen people ask $700+ for poor condition
Aria Bass/guitar doublenecks and get it. As with everything i guess it's
a matter of luck and timing.