Re: Vortex noisy?

Volume control "pops"? Usually just dirty. DeOxit from Caig is great for
pots and jacks. I prefer to use the blue for moving parts and red for
contacts. It is possible you have an IC issue, but that symptom is
usually similar to a dirty pot. You get static no matter how many times
you clean. Caused by DC on the pot. Pops could also be caused by a
circuit failure. Bad power, bad coupling cap or bad IC. Try the spray!
Most electronic places like Digi-Key or Mouser sell the Caig line. If
you do need to replace the pot. You'll need to know the value in ohms
and the taper type. Log, reverse log, audio, and linear are the most
common taper types. The ohm value will almost certainly be in Kilo ohms.
10K, 50K, 100K, 250K, 500K and 1Meg pots are the most common. Because
the voltage level is small, you'll probably be dealing with a 1/4 or 1/2
watt pot. 1 watt and 2 watt pots are much larger and probably won't fit
physically. I suspect the pots are PCB mounted as this is the most
economical manufacturing process. If you are unable to locate the proper
PCB pot, you could wire in a replacement. If you need details on how to
do this, please feel free to contact me.

Be Well

Will Brake
http://www.soul-fruit.com

> BTW, I and at least three others I know with JM's all have the input knob
> generating pops that get into loops.
>
> How do I fix that?  new pot?  can I do it myself with off-the-shelf
>parts?
>
> \/\/\/\/\/\/\
> Tony Justman
> San Francisco
> pantonio@pacbell.net
> www.greatgodpan.com
begin:vcard
n:Brake;Will
tel;work:248-583-1856
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http//www.soul-fruit.com
org:Soul Fruit
adr:;;2900 Rochester Road;Royal Oak;Michigan;48073;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:wbrake@home.com
title:Owner
fn:Will Brake