Re: the new iBook...

>     Thanks!  a little surfing later, and my eyes are opened.......  i
>think
>i may have to get an iBook and turn it into my little portable recording
>studio....  =)

remembering an earlier thread...folks were chiming in about USB not
being terribly friendly to audio.  seems to work fine for midi
information, but y'all were commenting that for critical audio work,
it might not be the best way to go.  that kindof stopped my interest
in the Tascam USB mixer, and also the new Event mixer (although the
event's matrix system seems terribly intriguing).

Is USB that bad for audio?  Right now, i'm messing with the onboard
sound input/outputs on a powerbook G3.  Would a USB audio interface
be better?  worse?

the firewire interfaces are starting to show up.  i've had pretty
good luck using Imovie with firewire to a digital video cam, but
sometimes the communication between laptop and camera chokes and you
have to start again.  i wonder if the same will be for firewire audio.

>     if you use a USB audio interface, does that bypass the computer's
>soundcard?

as far as i know...yes.  although the macs have never shipped with
soundcards, per se.  they have always had the audio on board, with
1/8" mini jacks for input and speaker output (some of the older AV
macs being an exception - RCA's).  funny that they've now dumped the
audio in on the new powerbooks and ibooks.  i've been a mac-head for
about 7 years now, and it seems that with each new generation, they
come up with something really cool, but they dump something that was
useful, too.

anybody want a 7100/66 powermac?  i'm getting a used G4 this weekend.
i'm sure someone is just dying for Nubus technology, yes?  and that
66mhz 601 chip just SMOKES...and gosh, it only cost $2300 new.

rich