re: New York loopers/West Coast Loopers and an East Coast Call toArms

Hi Rick,

How've you been? I can't speak for East Coast loopers but just
thought I'd add my 2¢.

I wonder if some loopers think of it (looping) as one of many
different ways to manipulate and generate sounds, rather than the
sole or primary one. Elliot Sharp is an amazing guitarist who uses
looping effects, among many others, and doubt he identifies his music
as "looping." Perhaps a Looping Festival suggests a genre or
aesthetic that musicians don't want to be pegged in, or identified
with, even though that's not necessarily so. I think of looping as a
means to an end. A lot of the time I play with the EDP in a way that
avoids obvious repetition, so that looping patterns are barely or
entirely imperceptible.

Best regards,
Eric

At 12:22 AM -0700 6/14/01, Rick Walker \(loop.pool\) wrote:
>somebody wrote:
>There are certainly other NYC area loopers... though not nearly to
>  >the same organized level as on the west coast!>>>
>
>Why do you think that is, folks?   There are a lot more human beings on
>the
>East Coast with the same access to the technology.  Now, I'm not trying to
>start a Tupac/Biggy  coastal styled rivalry here, by any means,  I just
>wonder if anyone has any ideas why this is so.
>
>Also,
>at the risk of sounding like a broken record, why don't some of you
>aspiring loopers put together a New York, or Philadelphia or Boston
>Looping Festival?    I will talk anyone intrigued with this foolish notion
>through everything they will need to know to pull one of these off little
>soires.  I've done about 10 of them so far and, right now, am in the
>chaotic
>process of producing the World's First Bass Looping Tour with loopers,
>Steve
>Lawson Michael Manring and Max Valentino and myself.
>Who knows, maybe you could rope in one of the big boys and girls, like
>loopers delight's own, dt (;-) or Elliot Sharp, since it would be any of
>those cities 1st Looping Festival.   Just a thought.
>
>yours,  Rick Walker (loop.pool)

---------------------
Upcoming Performances, Broadcasts, Etc.:

Friday, June 22 at 9:00 pm Solo performance opening for Tiny Hairs
<http://www.tinyhairs.com>. 4612 N. Lincoln Avenue (next to the Davis
Theater). Phone (773) 728-5010.

New on Compact Disc: Winter Construction (dceo003)
A compilation of Chicago artists with accompanying zine featuring tracks
by MORA, Kyle Bruckmann, Eric Leonardson/Yasuhiro Otani, Rosenberg
Skronktet, Fred Lonberg-Holm, the Flying Luttenbachers, Ernst Karel/
Brent Gutzeit/ Jason Soliday, Lozenge, Metallux, TV Pow, and others...
available on-line <http://www.deadceo.com/>.

Listen to the High Zero 2000 Documentation Site
http://www.highzero.org/highzero2000documentation/index.htm

More info on the web: <http://pages.ripco.net/~eleon>