Re: Off Topic-indulge me please

Dear all

I have been following with interest the "Off Topic-indulge me please"
thread. I find it somehow very reassuring to know that behind the knobs and
technical competence there are human beings. Even more so when it appears
that these human beings share so much beyond a common interest in music and
open minded experimentation.
Despite my dislike for statistics and averages a sort of identikit seem to
emerge from these postings, which may be of some "social-anthropological"
interest - correct me if I'm wrong.
Most of us seem to be male, over 40 (I'm 44); not many seem to make a
living
out of music (I don't); Many seem to be engaged in either lecturing or
designing/producing media (I'm a lecturer in multimedia/communication and a
freelance designer for web-cdrom-video-imaging); many seem to have young
children (my boy is 7) and share concerns like how to let them grow with an
open mind and varied interests while protecting them from the tv-induced
brainwashing and exaggerated consumerism. Some seem to have been lucky or
skilful enough to achieve lasting and fulfilling relationships (like the
one
who is getting "married for real" after 10 years of partnership,
congratulations!), others less so (like the one who keeps the wife happy by
doing some gardening) (I am divorced).

One thing strikes me: where are the young ones? One or two generations seem
to have been skipped - will our children pick up from where we left and
develop something new?
My child sings, messes about with any musical instrument he finds, paints,
draws and invents stories. More than anything else, he has opinions and
understands quite well the world around him. A great companion!

Another curious element is how, from many different starting points, we
converged to this point, this music, this list...
It's like the invisible paths that lead different music styles and
traditions to meet and merge creating something new and ancestral at the
same time.
Well, forgive the digression - this is a unique list indeed!

with friendship to all

Roberto

Roberto Battista
http://www.robat.scl.net
http://www.robat.scl.net/lectures/index.shtm
Tel. 0044 020 8449 1995
Mobile 0775 960 4344
http://www.rustyrobot.com
independent on-line music distribution,
the music you can't find elsewhere,
hybrid, eclectic, world, looped, unusual...
http://www.robat.scl.net/html/tibet/tibet.shtm
an exciting project on technology applied to
mobile education for developing countries and
remote locations...