Re: Basic intro (OT)

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001 15:24:17 -0400, "Christopher White"
<magicicada@charter.net> wrote:

>I would hope people would not give a fick about what I use
>and concentrate more on the qualities of the music and how
>it makes them feel or think.

That *is* what it's all about, isn't it? I find it so strange when
someone criticises music based on some ridiculous thing like "oh, that
'chiff' patch on the DX7 has been SO overused". It strikes me as very
much like walking into a gallery and saying "pfft, he used yellow ochre,
how plebeian". And the converse applies, as well; when someone says
something like "you made heavy use of second intervals, that's such a
profound departure from current musical standards", I just want to smack
him. It's like we're more concerned with the blueprint than the house.

>it is all communication we all just use a different
>languages or gestures- ya know-

Which leads into another interesting question, to what extent do people
here think their music communicates or is intended to communicate? There
are many musicians who think music needs to have deep, complex meaning;
there are others who think music is just music, and who cares what it
says. There's no right or wrong answer on this, of course, but I'm
interested in people's positions with respect to their own music.