re: first looper reminiscence

Hi!

   Does anyone remember those ancient answering
machines which used a standard sized cassette with a
looped 1 minute reel on it for the greeting?  When I
was a sophmore in high school, I got a hold of a few
extras.  My crap boombox had a built in mic, and you
could disable record while the tape was still playing,
so I'd record myself, then jump out of record and play
over the loop.  I had an even shittier boom box to
record that with, and still have these ancient relics
lying around somewhere.  This was just when I started
playing, but I think, in many ways, looping taught me
to play, and trained my ear.  Because before I knew
what scales were, I figured out what notes sounded good
over what kinds of fucked up chords I had invented (to
my mind, anyway).

  A little more than a year later, a friend of mine
pilfered an Ibanez rackmount multi-effects unit for me,
which had a 6 second delay at the longest setting,
which you could tweek in real time with these tiny
levers for mix, regen, and speed.  That's when I
started figuring out how to layer, though it was just
long delay layering, and the earlier stuff would slowly
fade out, unless I maxed out the regen.  I also had a
four track with an effects loop, so I would be able to
drop vocals, bass, and casio in.  I was in lo-fi heaven, but still wanted
MORE!

   In 94, my second year in college, I got a hold of a
Digitech echo plus and everything changed.  Battery
powered, a knob for tweaking speed, and CONTROL CONTROL
CONTROL!!!  I wrote so much music at this period, I felt like I was
bursting.

  A little later that year, I found out about a
non-gender-specific-jam-device (at the introductory price of $350) and was
forced into the world of midi control routing and all that other left
brain stuff.  The echo plus died on me, so I really was stuck there for a
while.  The line-6 I got last year brought me back to where I was with the
simplicity of the digitech, but with the limitations we're all well aware
of.

   I was bumbed about the lack of regen control and time tweaking, until I
heard rumour of an amazing device JUST AROUND THE CORNER.  Little did I
know it was a very long corner, but my Repeater should arrive in a few
weeks.  I suppose it's back to midi routing for me.

    When they get to the point of having a four-track floor mounted
battery powered looper with real time stretching and pitch whammying that
will sync to midi or tap tempo, I will buy 10, mark my words.

                    aaroneous