Re: Heavy philosophy on the fifth anniversary of LD (was: a Repeater suggestion)

At the risk of prolonging this already-rather-long
thread...

> Instead, they start looking for new gear, and new components, so that
> they can "do more things," rather than fully come to terms with what
> they already have.  And sometimes they look for gear based upon what
> they already know how to do, at the risk of ignoring things it can do
> which they might not be familiar with yet.

We aren't arguing over some obscure feature or a whole
new philosophy here!

Here's an example.

I have never understood the philosophy behind the
sequencer Logic but that doesn't mean I condemn the program.

I just haven't had the need to figure it out yet.
I hear it's a very good way of working.

HOWEVER, the fact that the program has no REDO
command is just a mistake.  Nothing you ever tell
me is going to convince me that I'm somehow
wrong to want to A/B compare the results if I make
an edit.  I use many dozens of programs every day,
and they ALL have a redo command.

Many Logic people have tried to convince me of
the fact that I'm wrong to want a redo...

SIMILARLY, there are all sorts of things that
the Repeater does that are arguably "features"
and unique to it.

HOWEVER, not having a wet/dry mix control on an effects
unit is just wrong.  There is no way to argue
this matter!  Only the most primitive effects
units don't have a wet-dry mix -- even little
stomp boxes like the Headrush have it nowadays
or at least a "pure wet" output.

Without a wet-dry mix, you are forced into running
your effects in series.  Your dry levels will
jump dramatically in a mix when you turn the
Repeater on.

This feature is NOT going to improve my music.
I will NOT be able to use this to get anything
better.

Damon admitted that it's an oversight, so we
are all cool w/him!  They'll fix it and
we'll all cheer (again)...

But honest, this is a bit much:

> And sometimes they look for gear based upon what
> they already know how to do, at the risk of ignoring things it can do
> which they might not be familiar with yet.

This does NOT describe me and I don't think it really
describes people on this list.  I read every manual
for every unit I own over and over again (I was
reading the Thunder manual as bedtime reading last
night) and I'm always finding new ways to do it...

All in good respect and health and all -- be well,
all of you lot!

   /t

--

I am the wombat.