the power of limits

>Lance, I think you've hit the nail on the head here.
>I can't count how many time I have used the excuse "If
>I only had X, Y, and Z...then I would be able to
>create some great music."
>
>Instead of worrying about the limitations of our gear,
>we should be fully exploiting them!  Thanks for
>"bringing it home."

yes! creativity is a game of limits. the limits gently contain, incubating
growth. the study of permaculture, and dozsa gorgy's great book 'the power
of limits: proportional harmonies in nature, art, and architecture'...
really bring this into view for me.

talking with David Ziccarelli (MAXMSP) last year, he was relating to me a
story of how he created a patch librarian for one of his old synths.. he
spent a lot of time perfecting the librarian so he could create new
patches and new combinations of old patches 'effortlessly'. when he was
finally done with the thing, he had no inspiration left to create patches,
and never used the thing... Matt Wright of CNMAT expressed similar
sentiments to me once....

it seems like a delicate path. supposedly the Dalai Lama has a penchant
for gizmos. the mind is so easily drawn to 'something else'.. but the
irony is 'this is it! this is Really IT!'

love
-jan

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!