Re: the power of limits

I like the approach of taking what gear (or compositional techniques) you
have and just getting on with making music, most of the time I work in
that
way. Sometimes, however, the sound/structure I want just occurs in my
head,
for no particular reason. It then becomes a matter of seeking out the
'gear'
I need  if I ever want to hear the result. Once I'd tried out the simplest
looping boxes (a sampling delay stompbox, probably by Boss) I started to
want
the 'recording studio live' scenario. The setup I have now allows me to do
that, (but of course I now get sidetracked into the other possibilities on
offer. )

I guess there's 2 types of creativity involved here, for instance I can
spend
a whole evening creating a patch(morph)  for the Lexicon Vortex,  trying
out
stuff fairly analytically and looking through the manual.
Then later I can dial up that patch and make music, and by responding to
what
I hear I can often find possibilities in the patch that i hadn't designed
for.
The first process here isn't usually as gratifying as the second, all the
setting up can be a bit tedious. The part I really enjoy is getting to
respond to, and play with the new sounds.

So maybe there's:-
Working to extend the limits, which can be a somewhat dry intellectual
experience.
and
Working within the limits, which is more immediate (and fun).

just ideas (please pull apart)

andy butler