From: Kim Flint [mailto:kflint@loopers-delight.com]
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2001 5:34 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: RE: MFC10 latency

At 03:24 PM 9/8/2001, Tim Goodwin wrote:
>That's great to hear.  Someone emailed me privately and mentioned that it
>was an issue with their EDP.  After searching the LD archives I discovered
>brief thread that addressed this issue.

no, there is no issue with midi speed and the EDP. In fact the EDP is very
fast in responding to midi. It has a very tight real-time architecture and
is guaranteed to respond to any MIDI message within 1.5ms. In fact, it
actually responds to midi faster than it does to it's own buttons, because
we need to debounce buttons to make sure we know what is pressed. In the
case of the buttons, the echoplex response is guaranteed to be less than
3ms. Either way it is less than you will likely perceive, and less than the
accuracy you will likely have in pressing the buttons! In designing the EDP
we considered very fast real-time response to be absolutely critical to
looping. So this was always a high priority in the design.

The JamMan is known to be rather slow in midi response though. As I recall
of that past discussion, that was the device people were talking about in
regards to the MFC-10, not the EDP. People determined it was actually the
JamMan that was slow, when they initially thought their midi controller was
slow. Andy seemed to think both were slow, as he wrote here:

http://www.loopers-delight.com/LDarchive/200102/msg00293.html

>Andy Butler said that he was going
>to use a TRS for certain functions to resolve the practical aspects of
>this
>problem.

that would have been in regards to the JamMan.

kim