OT:9/11/01

>I love New York so much.  How could anyone be so horrible? /t

So do I, so do I. No matter how many times I saw that plane hit, and the
tower exploding and crumbling to the street on the tv, each time I felt
like
I was getting punched, hard, in the gut, thinking of all the people who
were
dying. I was hardly able to sleep last night. But as far as how anyone can
be so horrible, as you said,  there are are very concrete reasons for it,
as
some people on the list have mentioned. I hate to say, but this act is
pretty much political karma. We can't brutalize other countries,
developing,
or "third world countries" either directly, as in the case of Iraq, or
indirectly, as in the case of Iran under the Shah, or the Palestinians
through our support (political, selling of arms, etc) of Israel  without
the
brutality eventually making its way back home to us. These are just a few
examples, obviously, as there are many from Latin America also, as Andy
pointed out in an earlier post.
America is the bully of the worlds playground, and the Americans on this
list (and I am one of them) should be aware of this.
(By the way, I hope I dont end up sounding pedantic, or insulting to
anyone's intelligence, if I do, sorry).
Please dont make the mistake of thinking that I'm saying I condone what
happened- I'm just saying there are a lot of reasons why a lot of people
in
the developing world are taking a lot of satisfaction in our pain- based
on
their experience of what the American government is like, and how it has
affected them, they see it, and quite reasonably so, as the little guy
giving the big bad bully of the global school yard one hell of an
unbelievable sucker punch. The Palestinians arent celebrating what
happened
yesterday because they are "crazy," "radical," "fundamentalist," or
innately
"bad" or violent somehow. We have given them, by our actions, a lot of
reason to do so.
Who is a terrorist, and who is a nationalist/freedom-fighter? The only
difference between the two, the only thing deciding what word you use  is
who's side yer on. We need to find out more about why things like this
happen- not simply exhibit knee-jerk reactions and bark jingoistic
nonsense.
Meanwhile the innocent suffer for the sins of the few in power.
This is totally inapropriate for a list about looping, but having spent a
lot of time in the West Bank and also having lived in Egypt, certain posts
have just made it too hard for me to stay in lurk mode.
I really dont want to start a politcal type flame war though, so if any
one
really feels the need to attack me please do it off-list, preferably not
for
a sustained period of time.
Peace,
j.